Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Enduring Gospel

The theme for LEAD this year was "The Enduring Gospel." Some people have suggested that the gospel is somehow inferior to other christian doctrines in the sense that we start with the gospel and then we move into the meat of biblical theology. I think it is proper to say that we need to start with the gospel but we have to be continually reminded of the gospel and seek to understand the depths of the gospel as we live. Paul says in  1 Cor 15:1-2 "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain." Paul wanted to remind the Corinthians of the gospel. In Galatians 3:1-3 he writes,  "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" I know that the natural state of the human heart is to not believe the gospel that is why God has to open the human heart to receive it and that is why we need to continually remind one another about the significance of the gospel and our day to day walks with Christ. I know that this weekend served as a good reminder for me that Jesus has finished the work, and all I need to do is believe, I cannot add anything to his righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment